Consiglio bocchino per trombone Martin Commettee (small shank ?)

Novità, misure, consigli, prove e curiosità sui bocchini.
Rispondi
AlbertoR
Thanks dati: 37
Thanks ricevuti: 11

Consiglio bocchino per trombone Martin Commettee (small shank ?)

Messaggio da AlbertoR »

Ciao a tutti,
ho da poco acquistato un trombone tenore Martin Handcraft Committee del 1940, in attesa che mi arrivi devo procurarmi un bocchino.
Leggendo un pò in giro, sembra che i tromboni Martin, almeno fino al 1947, debbano essere utilizzati con bocchini 'small shank'.
Per capire qualcosa sulla differenza tra long e short shank sono andato a rileggermi questa pagina relativa alle cornette (ma credo che il principio sia lo stesso), segnalata già sul forum:
https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/ConnArticle34.html
Devo decidere se rimanere nel vintage e acquistare un bocchino Martin (più difficile da trovare) o Olds (che sembra vadano bene sui Martin), oppure acquistarlo nuovo, e non saprei di quale marca (Gewa, Soundman, Denis Wick, ...).
Sul trombone sono alle primissime armi, ho bisogno di qualcosa per iniziare, non sono in grado di capire con quale bordo, tazza, penna, mi troverei meglio.
Consigli ?
Magari anche @kenton , se ne ha voglia, può darmi un consiglio.
Grazie.

Alberto

----------------------------------------
Hello,
I recently bought a 1940 Martin Handcraft Committee tenor trombone, while I wait for it to arrive I have to get a mouthpiece.
Reading around, it seems that Martin trombones, at least up to 1947, should be used with 'small stem' mouthpieces.
To understand something about the difference between long stem and short stem, I re-read this page relating to croissants (but I think the principle is the same), already reported on the forum:
https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/ConnArticle34.html
I have to decide whether to stick with vintage and buy a Martin (harder to find) or Olds (which seems to fit Martins) mouthpiece, or buy it new, and I don't know what brand (Gewa, Soundman, Denis Wick, ...).
I'm a absolute beginner on the trombone, I need something to start, I'm not able to figure out which rim, cup, pen, I'd be best with.
Advise ?
Maybe even @kenton , if he wants to, can give me some advice.
Thank you.

Marco Muttinelli
Site Admin
Site Admin
Thanks dati: 468
Thanks ricevuti: 397

Re: Consiglio bocchino per trombone Martin Commettee (small shank ?)

Messaggio da Marco Muttinelli »

Ritaggo @kenton perché nel post originale il tag non era stato inserito correttamente.

In the original message the tag for @kenton was not properly formed, so i procede with a new one.
the "SPECIAL" ist:
38A Victor 1937 - 12B Coprion 1940 - 22B New York Symphony 1940

VICTOR...ia’s secret: 82A - 1925; 8A - 1932; 80A - 1940; 6B - 1968

selezione ristetta: Buescher The 400 T225 1937; 8B Artist 1965;
15B Director 1970; 60B Super Connstellation 1970;

il mio adorato flicorno... Couesnon Monopole ?

imboccature
Famous Artist: BI-220, BI-225, BI-420 e AI-312 Pechin
Precision/Imp. Precision: 3, 4, 5 e 6 (tp); 3 e 4 (cn)
Connstellation: 5 B-N, 5 B-W, 7 B-N, 7 C-N, 9 B-W (tp)
E-Z Tone: Elkhart (tp&cn); Abilene (tp); UMI (tp&cn)
Denis Wick: 4FL, 4BFL (fl); 4 Classic (cn)

molti altri strumenti vintage disponibili
mail: c.g.conn.expert@gmail.com
kenton
Thanks dati: 3
Thanks ricevuti: 6

Messaggio da kenton »

My first bit of advice would be to wait for the horn to arrive before shopping for a mouthpiece. I don't really have a good grasp of when each manufacturers converted from short shank to long shank mouthpieces. So, it might be worthwhile to see what seems to fit once you get it.

That being said, oftentimes, vintage instruments play with better intonation with a period mouthpiece - not always, but often.

And, another option is to take a long shank mouthpiece to a machinist with a metal lathe, and have them shave it to the proper taper.
AlbertoR
Thanks dati: 37
Thanks ricevuti: 11

Messaggio da AlbertoR »

Grazie Kenton, hai ragione, mi conviene attendere l'arrivo dello strumento prima di acquistare il bocchino.
Immagino che poi io possa determinare quale tipologia utilizzare in base al diametro interno del ricevitore.

Alberto
----------------------------------
Thanks Kenton, you're right, I'd better wait for the instrument to arrive before buying the mouthpiece.
I guess I can then determine which type to use based on the internal diameter of the receiver.

Alberto
Rispondi